One of my favourite DIY blogs, particularly when it comes to jewellery is All Things Indulgent, so I am psyched to have Vanessa guest posting today and sharing a quick and simple DIY with you all.
If you’re looking for a quick and easy DIY that can add that extra dramatic bit of bling to your party outfit, then look no further – this may be the DIY for you! I’ve really enjoyed making headbands, fascinators and headpieces over the years; I find that they give my outfit that extra boost that makes me feel confident, sexy and FA-BU-LOUS! That being said, dealing with the discomfort of sore temples and sore heads or the inconvenience of “hat hair” isn’t great. Which is why, this DIY Crystal Hair Ribbon is a perfect accessory – lightweight and versatile, but still oh so sparkly…
What you need:
- Black felt (available at most craft/fabric stores)
- Black satin ribbon (just under 1 metre long)
- 6-8 flat-based crystal embellishments
- Flat-based rhinestone chain
- Contact Adhesive
- Sharp Scissors
(1) Lay out your felt on a flat surface and using the contact adhesive, glue the crystal embellishments onto the fabric, leaving about an inch in between each crystal.
(2) Whilst the glue dries, measure out your rhinestone chain – it could comfortably circle around the crystal embellishment. Cut one length per crystal.
(3) Using the contact adhesive, glue each rhinestone chain around each crystal embellishment. Leave to dry.
(4) Once the crystals and rhinestones have dried, use the scissors to cut each circle out of the felt.
(5) Using the contact adhesive, glue each circle of crystals onto the shiny side of the satin ribbon. Leaving about 2-3cm between each crystal. Leave to dry.
(6) Secure either end of the ribbon by burning it slightly with a lighter.
This hair ribbon can be worn a variety of ways to a variety of events – it’d be fab for a 1920s theme, bling it up at a Christmas party, ooze that extra bit of old Hollywood glamour or simply shine like a star at that next cocktail party. So now it’s your turn – would you keep it neutral or go nuts with the colours? What kind of embellishments would you use? Stick with crystals or rock some pearls? I wanna hear from you!
Be sure to check out more of Vanessa’s awesome DIY accessories here.